26 Jan How to optimize a blog for SEO
Every other company has a blog page these days, and for all good reasons. Unfortunately, very few of them fully use their blog content to maximize SEO performance. Here are a few simple ways a blog can improve your website’s SEO visibility.
- Create a compelling name for your blog
It irritates you when the name of the blog is… “Blog”! Your blog name is also an optimization opportunity. Ask yourself these questions:
- What is the theme of the blog?
- What would be a catchy description?
- Can I incorporate important SEO keywords in the blog’s title or name?
- Reach a specific audience with each post
Each blog post is written for a specific segment of your target audience. This allows you to create content that is optimized for specific customers and contains target keywords related to specific needs.
For example, if you sell clothing, you might include a post in your blog about a hot topic in the industry (e.g., little black dress) that targets a particular audience you are trying to capture (e.g., fashion retail customers).
- Implement an effective URL of the blog
An effective URL naming convention is good for SEO and users both:
It makes results reporting easy. By including “/blog/” in URL, it’s easier to track the overall progress of the blog within analytics. I recommend that you include /blog/ in your URL structure to improve the ease of blog results reporting.
Don’t over complicate URL by including all the keywords in it.
Longer, non-user-friendly URL:
Shorter, optimized URL:
- Continually optimize blog content
Constant content refresh is very good for SEO! SEO improvements do not always require new website content. Look for opportunities to optimize existing blogs. Review current content and identify opportunities for additional on-page SEO. Here are some tips:
- Add internal links.
- Add optimized images.
- Link one post to another.
- Review title tags and meta descriptions.
- Mark up the blog
Let’s not forget about structured data markup. Structured data markup can be added to your HTML to provide information about a page, classify the page content, and in some cases improve the way your page is represented in SERPs.
- Use social media sharing
There are a lot of benefits to sharing blog posts on social media:
1. It keeps your social media sites refreshed.
2. It keeps your audience engaged.
3. Because social signals are included in the ranking algorithm, it improves SEO results.
4. Social links help to increase referral.
If you like this blog, please like and share.